Skip to main content

$1. Is That Considered Stealing???

Today was actually OK! Except for one minor thing that happened.  Maybe it's major. Eh, you decide.

A customer came through the drive thru and placed her order.  Not quite sure what happened, but she decided to park and come inside to complete the transaction.
I was sitting and having a conversation with Joe and I noticed her walking in with an empty cup.  She put the cup on the table and when I went behind the counter to help her, she said that she had already placed the order at the drive thru. At that moment, Derek came up and said that he has her order pulled up. So I went back and continued my conversation with Joe.  Derek walked to the back. A few minutes passed, and a customer came in for a pick-up order.  I returned to my register and rung her up.  Derek came up to me and motioned to the customer from the drive thru and said, " Did you notice she got a drink?"  I looked at her...then at Derek, "I saw her bring the cup in, but you helped her so I figured she would have told you she wanted to fill her cup." He gave me this 'oh no she didn't' look.  He told me that he would take care of it when the order is completed.

So, her order came out.
"Ma'am, just so you know, your orders do not come with a drink."
Her response, and ya'll, she was like so nonchalant about this while she spoke her words, "Oh, I was just filling up my cup."
At this point, I spoke up and basically advised her that we don't mind her using her own cup, but she could have at least asked us to fill it or let us know. She got hostile at that point and was like, "So what, did you want me to pay a dollar?"
"No ma'am, I'm just letting you know that we don't mind you using your cup, but the drink you used to fill up your cup is still money out of our pockets. We are just letting you know for next time."

Okay, let's take a step back.  Our establishment could easily put up a sign NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED. But we don't. For the majority of the time, we do not have any issues with our customers and our relationship with them is really outstanding.  But then you have that ONE BAD APPLE and it makes me really wonder, should we really rethink about how we conduct our business?

She used a 32 oz. cup. It was not a small solo cup...it was 32 oz.  We offer 32 oz. drinks for $1.99. If you have your own cup, sure I'll charge you $1.00 instead of the $2 that I would normally charge. Heck, catch me on a good day with your personal cup and I may even say that you can have it for free! But it makes me wonder, the customers I encounter, do they do this at McDonalds? Would they bring a competitor's cup in and just refill the cup without saying anything? So just for $1, is it considered stealing???

Reminds me of other times where customers did stuff similar to today.

A guy and a girl comes in and they order 2 seafood plates and 1 drink.  I walk to the back, and the guy just takes another cup.  I came back to the front, I saw the 2 cups. I didn't say anything about it. The only thing I was thinking about was the fact that the guy could afford $10 plates but not $1 drink.  He must thought he was so cool stealing the cup.  I felt sorry for the girl.

I love the remarks about me charging for water.  "I just spent $8 and I don't have to pay for water?"
Technically, I don't charge for the water.  I am charging for the cup that I will be handing you.  I really want to get some clear 8 oz. cups and when a customer wants water for free, I will gladly give them that 8 oz. cup.  And guess what, when they want a refill, they would have to walk back to the counter EACH time to refill. If I have customers, they will have to wait, but hey, at least it was free.  But, even then I'm pretty sure I will still have someone complaining about it.

Oh well. Can't please everyone. Guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BTS World Tour Hunger Games Ticket Purchasing

So...April 24, BTS was announced for their Billboard nomination. Their comeback is set for May 18...Billboards are set to air May 20 so ARMY all over the world were speculating that they will be performing and that would be their comeback stage! AND WE WERE RIGHT!  Then, they announced tickets would go on sale on May 5, 10 AM...well at least for the Fort Worth location. It just so happens that it will be on the weekend before my birthday. I'm so excited! Getting the tickets was crazy! My niece and I manhandled 3 laptops & 2 Iphones. We logged onto AXS at around 9:15 and waited. At 9:30AM the pages automatically refreshed... My game plan was to get 3 of the 5 devices in the waiting room and the other 2 devices we'd go in at the time tickets went on sale. At 10:00 AM my nieces computer went straight into the "Are you a human?" screen and she was able to get the 2 tickets...unfortunately, it made her sign in. She ended up with the error message like so many ot

Customers Like to Think They are Slick

Today, was an interesting day. I got to work in the kitchen today. That was interesting. Calling out orders and getting to dress the poboys. YAY! It was pretty uneventful. Until the afternoon.  A customer came in and ordered a 5 piece fried chicken wings with shrimp fried rice plate. Derek took her order.  Martin and I worked in the back and Martin boxed the order and put the plate up.  Derek checked the order and handed it to the customer (we will just say that this occurred at 1:30pm) and he then went to the back (1:35pm)to check on something.  About 1:40pm, the customer approached the counter and spoke to Shera, our other cashier, and basically said that she only got 4 chicken wings, not 5.  When I came to the front to see what was going on she spoke loudly to her companion and said, "You ate a wing, I ate a wing, and I got 2 wings left on my plate. That's only 4 wings. I'm about to get what I paid for." I was not about to argue with this woman over a wing

Since When Did a PoBoy Shop Start Serving Fried Dogs?!

An interesting thing happened at work yesterday.  The lunch rush had just finished and a call comes through on the line. Riiiinnnnggg!!! Riiiiinnnnggg!!! PoBoy USA, how can I help you? Yes, I was calling to find out what do you have on your menu? Is there anything specific you are inquiring about?  We offer different selections from seafood to chicken wing plates... Do you serve fried dogs? I'm sorry, what was that? Is this the place across from *garbled noise* Again, I'm sorry, what was that?  This is PoBoy USA. Are you across from the bank and the business center? Yes, that's us.  Is there something I can help you with? Do you serve fried dogs? I'm sorry, we do not, is there anything else I can help you with? I would like to make a suggestion to your menu. Okay, what suggestion would that be ma'am? You should add fried dogs to your menu. *snickering* No ma'am, that won't be happening anytime soon.  Is there anything else I can help you wit